Many pests can invade your home, from insects and spiders to rodents. These pests could end up causing a lot of damage and could also be hazardous to your health. At EcoCare Pest Control, we have extensive experience with all types of pests commonly found in and around your home, and we know just what to do to keep you and your family safe.
Signs that Confirm You Have a Pest Infestation
All the pests that come into your home will do their best to stay out of sight. Most of them have small, agile bodies that allow them to squeeze into some of the most hard-to-reach places of your home, like behind your walls and above your ceiling. However, even if you cannot spot these pests with your own eyes, there are a few clues they will leave behind. Here is a look at how to identify common pest infestations.
Image Credit: torook / Shutterstock
Mice and rats will commonly try to come into your home in search of food and water. Also, they do not like colder temperatures, so in the winter, they will sneak into your home to escape the frigid temperatures.
If you have rodents in your home, you may find:
- rodent droppings
- chewed paper or cardboard
- holes in your walls and cabinets
- gnaw marks on your furniture.
The teeth of mice and rats will continue to grow for their entire life. To keep their teeth from growing too much, they will chew and nibble on anything that they can get their mouths around.
Bed bugs were once thought to be extinct. However, in the mid-1990s, they made a comeback. Today, these tiny insects can be found in a wide range of residential and commercial locations. Some of the telltale signs that you have a bed bug infestation include:
- Dark smear marks on your mattress, sheets, furniture, and walls
- Specs of blood on your sheets
- Tiny and itchy bug bites on your skin that will usually form a straight line
- Bed bug eggs that look like tiny grains of rice found under your mattress or in the crevices of your furniture
Cockroaches are filthy insects that can carry and spread a wide range of diseases and viruses. Some of the most common signs that you will find in your home if you have a cockroach infestation include:
- Cockroach droppings that usually resemble ground black pepper
- A small, dark, rectangle-shaped egg sac called an ootheca
- Cockroach skin casings
- A foul odor that has a damp and musty smell
Carpenter ants and small black ants are the most common types of ants found in a home. Like termites, carpenter ants like to consume wood and can cause structural damage to your home. Black ants can spread a wide range of illnesses to you and your family, including salmonellosis and E. coli infections.
Some of the clues to look for if you think you have an ant problem include:
- Seeing a line of ants walk through your home
- Wooden beams in your home become hollowed out or brittle
- Discarded wings on the window and door sills.
Image Credit: Africa Studio /Shutterstock
The best way to achieve total pest control in your home is to prevent them from coming inside your home in the first place. Some of the best ways to keep your home pest-free include:
- Dispose of Trash Regularly. You should also keep a tight lid on your outdoor trash cans and place them as far away from your home as possible.
- Identify and Block Potential Entry Points. Pest can come into your home through the tiniest cracks and gaps around the exterior. Use caulking or some other type of durable material to seal up the gaps around your windows, doors, and vents around your home.
- Keep Food Stored in a Sealed Container. All food should be stored, including pet food. Also, if you think you may have rodents around your home, make sure that the container is made of metal or glass.
- Maintain Your Lawn. Keep your grass cut short around your home. You should keep the bushes, shrubs, and trees properly pruned and cut back away from your house.
- Keep Your House Sanitized. Sweep, mop, and vacuum the floors in your home regularly to ensure no food particles are left around the house. Also, remove any old boxes, toys, clothing, and other items that can clutter up your house and act as a hiding space for pests.
Following these tips can greatly reduce your chances of having unwanted pests in your house.
Best Pest Control Methods
There are many do-it-yourself pest control solutions available on the market today. However, the problem with DIY pest control is that many do not target a specific area. There is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to eliminating pests in your home. Every infestation is different, which means that every infestation has a unique solution.
Another problem with DIY pest control methods is that they can be dangerous. Some of the chemicals and pesticides you can buy in stores can be extremely dangerous if you do not know how to dispense them properly. For this reason, many people choose to leave their pest problems to professionals.
Contact The Pros At EcoCare Pest Control For Customized Pest Control Advice
If you think you have a pest problem in or around the Portland, Oregon, or Vancouver, Washington areas, give us a call today. We offer affordable, customizable, and eco-friendly solutions to help eliminate the bothersome pests from your property. Contact us today for a free estimate!
Featured Image: janews / Shutterstock