Pest infestation? You’re probably here wondering how to get rid of those bugs FAST! We know insects and critters can be frightening and gross. EcoCare is Portland’s go-to pest control company — we’ll help you through this one step at a time.
Stop What’s Bugging You
Contact us for a free pest inspection & extermination quote.
Step 1: Identify the bug
The elimination strategy you take will depend on the type of infestation. Before you can stop the problem, you need to figure out what kind of bug you’re dealing with.
Here in the Portland and Vancouver area, there are a variety of insects that could be causing you problems. The 9 most common pest infestations in the PNW include:
- Boxelder bugs
- Bed bugs
You probably have a good idea of what all these insects look like and can identify the species right away. But if you’re not sure, here’s how to find out.
- Take a photo of the bug
- Browse through our pest library, comparing the photo of your bugs to those in the library
- Note the location, timing, and any other unique factors about the infestation, comparing those details to information you find about the species
If you’re still not sure what kind of bug is bothering you, reach out to our team. We’ll help you figure it out.
Step 2: Ensure your family’s safety
Depending on the type of insect, you should take some precautions to ensure it won’t affect your family or damage any more of your property.
- Kiddos: If you have little ones in the house, make sure they won’t come in contact with the infestation.
- Pets: Some bugs are poisonous to pets, so take steps to ensure they can’t get near the infestation. Or, if your pet is infested (with fleas, for example), quarantine them to help limit the spread and call your vet immediately.
- Food: Do a sweep of your house to clear away and store food. Wipe down counters, make sure all your food is sealed in the pantry, and toss any old fruit or veggies sitting on the counter.
- Belongings: Depending on where you found the infestation, you may want to move your personal belongings so they won’t come in contact with or be damaged by the bugs.
- Protect yourself! Many bugs and insects can be hurtful to you. Bees, mosquitos, ticks, and more all pack a punch. Protect yourself to ensure you don’t get stung or bit. Always err on the side of caution and call a professional if you’re dealing with a hive or serious infestation.
Step 3: Find the source & seal off entry points
To successfully eliminate a pest problem, focus on the root of the issue. For example, killing the ants currently in your home will do you no good if they can easily find their way back in.
You must figure out the source of the problem.
Sometimes you can follow the trail to find the culprit. But depending on the type of bug, it might take a bit of investigating on your part.
A few things to look for include:
- Cracks, openings, and holes in your wall, baseboard, or ceiling
- Bushes, plants, trees, or branches touching your house
- Fruit trees or with fallen/dead/rotting fruit
- Unsealed food
- Standing water in your basement or around the exterior of your home
- Nests or webs in corners of your house
- Hives and ant colonies around your home
You might also want to take a look in your attic or crawl space to make sure it’s clear of any signs of infestations. These places are often a source of bug problems in your home.
Once you find the issue, take steps to resolve it. For example, fix leaks or seal off and reinforce any holes and gaps around your property. Trim back bushes and clear away debris from the perimeter of your house. Seal trash cans or pick up fallen and rotting fruit or veggies in your yard.
Step 4: Eliminate
Now comes the time to exterminate the pest. This needs to be done very carefully and requires a personalized approach. You know what kind of pest you’re dealing with, so do some research to learn the best extermination methods.
Whenever possible, we recommend taking a conservative, eco-friendly approach. Dealing with strong chemicals and poisons is very dangerous. More than that, it’s often unnecessary. Start small and see what works and what doesn’t.
Always understand exactly what kind of pest control product you’re using and how it affects your family before using it. Keep any traps or bait safety away from kids, pets, and the rest of your family.
Remember, if you’re dealing with more than a few pesky bugs, a professional exterminator is the safest, most effective option. Often, DIY pest removal options don’t work. Be willing to call in the professionals when necessary.
Step 5: Keep a watchful eye
Once your pest problem has been handled, stay alert for any signs that the bugs might be making their way back. Take matters into your own hands by using a preventive approach. By taking some preventive measures, you can keep insects away from your clothes, food, and valuables.
Read our helpful guide on how to bug-proof your home through everyday preventive habits.
If you do notice the signs of an infestation forming again, don’t wait to solve it. Jump on the problem right away.
Or… solve the problem the easy way
DIY isn’t your style? Facing an infestation that’s just too big to handle on your own? Working with a local pest control company is always a faster, more effective solution.
We’re happy to take care of the problem for you.
For almost 20 years, EcoCare Pest Control has been helping homeowners throughout Portland and Vancouver eliminate bugs and insects. All our services are carefully designed to be safe for your family and tough on pests.